University Professor of Institute for Advanced Study, Kyushu University
Molecular Organization Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry
Establishment of the Conception of Molecular Organization Chemistry
MessageSince I started my academic life at Kyushu University, I have been involved in fundamental research and education in the fields of polymer chemistry and molecular organization at School of Engineering. Then, I moved to the Institute of Physical and Chemical Research to lead a frontier research group, while acting as vice president of University of Kitakyushu. More recently, I was engaged in promotion of industry-university collaboration in the Kitakyushu area.
We entered in the age of knowledge-based society, and acquisition of broad knowledge is indispensable for nurturing of creativity, as the driving force of society. The role of higher education, especially that of universities, is essential for promotion of knowledge and training of creative people. I would be very happy if my experience is of any help for such purposes.
- March 1958
- Department of Applied Chemistry, School of Engineering, Kyushu University
- March 1960
- Master’s Program in Graduate School of Engineering, Kyushu University
- August 1962
- Doctoral Program in Graduate School, University of Pennsylvania
- September 1962
- Postdoctoral Researcher of California Institute of Technology
- October 1963
- Associate Professor of the School of Engineering Kyushu University
- April 1974
- Professor of the School of Engineering Kyushu University
- April 1992 – March 1994
- Dean of School of Engineering, Kyushu University
- April 1999
- Professor Emeritus of Kyushu University
Professor of University of Kitakyushu
- April 2001 – March 2008
- Vice President of University of Kitakyushu
- September 2007 – present
- Chief Director of NanoMembrane Technologies, Inc.
- April 2009 – June 2016
- President of Kitakyushu Foundation for the Advancement of Industry, Science and Technology
- December 2015
- University Professor of Institute for Advanced Study, Kyushu University
- Japan Academy Prize
- Person of Cultural Merit
- The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold and Silver Star
- Order of Culture
- Kyoto Prize in Advanced Technology
- Watanabe, H., Vendamme, R. & Kunitake, T. Development of Fabrication of Giant Nanomembranes. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn 80, 433-440 (2007).
- Ariga, K. & Kunitake, T. Molecular Recognition at Air-Water and Related Interfaces: Complementary Hydrogen Bonding and Multi-Site Interaction. Acc. Chem. Res. 31, 371-378 (1998).
- Ichinose, I., Senzu, H. & Kunitake, T. A Surface Sol-Gel Process of TiO2 and Other Metal Oxide Films with Molecular Precision. Chem. Mater. 9, 1296-1298 (1997).
- Lvov, Y., Ariga, K., Ichinose, I. & Kunitake, T. Assembly of Multicomponent Protein Films by Means of Electrostatic Layer-by-Layer Adsorption. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 117, 6117-6123 (1995).
- Kunitake, T. Synthetic Bilayer Membranes, Molecular Design and Self Organization. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 31, 709-726 (1992).
- Kunitake, T. & Okahata, Y. A Totally Synthetic Bilayer Membrane. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 99, 3860 (1977).