(Distinguished Professor, Kyushu University)
- Field of Expertise：
- Plasma Engineering
- Fellow of The Japan Society of Applied Physics
- Plasma Material Science Award
- Plasma Electronics Award
The Institute for Advanced Study was established in October 2009 as an international research and educational center of Kyushu University. Our mission is to give opportunities for excellent researchers in Kyushu University, especially post professors or young researchers who have accomplished great research achievements, regardless of their academic fields. Through the activities in our institute, we are aiming to mentor young researchers who will succeed in the world and to promote the use of research results to contribute to society.
Presently, six excellent researchers of Kyushu University are appointed as University Professors of our institute.
Specialized fields: Supramolecular chemistry; molecular recognition; functional polymers
Specialized fields: Molecular organization chemistry; polymer chemistry
Specialized fields: Development of electrical and electronic engineering
Specialized fields: Neuropharmacology ; Neurochemistry
Specialized fields: Experimental Nuclear Physics
Specialized fields: Molecular Biology, Genetics, Epigenetics, Developmental Biology
Also, excellent researchers who have outstanding achievements in their field, such as receiving a Nobel Prize, and made a significant contribution to research and educational activities in Kyushu University are appointed as Distinguished University Professors.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2001,2022)
Nobel Peace Prize (2006)
Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1987)
Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2004)
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (2001)
Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2019)
We will hold lectures and symposiums where these professors tell their research experiences to students and staffs in our university and our researchers tell everyone their research results. We welcome all of you to attend these lectures and symposiums.
In Kyushu University, we are aiming to create new academic fields and lead the world.
I think that it is the most important that students and young researchers have dreams and hopes and that they can fully exercise their creativity without fear.
Therefore, the institute will act as a core to promote activities to achieve these goals and contribute to technological development.
The Institute for Advanced Study is promoting advanced research beyond the departments in Kyushu University. By this, Kyushu University is being promoted as a center of global study and education for achieving excellent results in research, which can lead the academic community, as well as benefit society through its achievements.
Mission of the Institute for Advanced Study
To achieve its purposes, the Institute for Advanced Study develops the following substantive research and support activities:
- October 2009
- Institute for Advanced Study established
- May 2010
- Confer the title of Distinguished University Professor on Prof. K. Barry SHARPLESS
- July 2010
- Confer the title of Distinguished University Professor on Prof. Muhammad YUNUS
- July 2011
- Special Lecture by Dr. Akira SUZUKI, 2010 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
- February 2012
- Nobel Prize Forum by Prof. Eiichi NEGISHI, 2010 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry
- March 2016
- Confer the title of Distinguished University Professor on Prof. Jean-Marie LEHN
- December 2016
- Confer the title of Distinguished University Professor on Prof. Aaron CIECHANOVER
- April 2018
- Confer the title of Distinguished University Professor on Sir Tim HUNT
- January 2020
- Confer the title of Distinguished University Professor on Prof. YOSHINO Akira
- Founder Dean
- KATSUKI Tsutomu (October 2009 – March 2010 )
- IWASA Yoh (April 2010 – March 2018 )
- SASAKI Hiroyuki (April 2018 – March 2021)
- SHIRATANI Masaharu (April 2021 – Present )